Thursday, January 26, 2012

Double Decker

This was the day we put up the vinyl decals which were such a pain in the neck that they are never coming down. We'll have to paint around them!
Jacob has bunk beds! When we moved Jacob from the crib to a big boy bed we purchased a bunk bed used from a friend, but only put up the bottom bunk. That was a couple of years ago (he's 4 1/2) and recently he's been asking about his bunk beds. "When can I have bunk beds. Where are my bunk beds. Who will build my bunk beds?"  So, this weekend we built the bunk beds! He was so excited and decided immediately that he was going to sleep in the top bunk.I was a little nervous about letting him, but both bunks have a full rail and the chances of him falling out while he sleeps are basically nil, so the top bunk it was!  We're on night 5 and he's still in the top bunk. I love that he loves it so much, but I have to admit to being a teeny bit sad as he's growing up right in front of me.  And ... hugs and cuddles are tricky in a top bunk! I can't reach without climbing up the ladder!


We have bunk beds!

Other plans for this room are to repaint, recarpet and add new shelving or something. We created a story corner a few weeks ago with some cushions that I made from some fun black, red & white fabric ... and yes, the books need to be purged! I have a hard time getting rid of books ... even bad books (is there such a thing?).

He has requested a dinosaur theme for the room, so I'm on the hunt for fun dinosaur fabric for a new duvet cover. And I'm planning to scan some pages from one of his favourite books, Dino Trux, to frame and hang.



After looking at these pictures I've realized just how bare his walls are! Any suggestions as to what I could put on the walls over the bed?

I'm linking up with the William Morris project over at Pancakes & French Fries.


9 comments:

  1. I love bunk beds, but they are sure a pain to put together and take apart. Good for you for getting it done! I bet your son is so excited.

    As for the walls, I would look for ideas on pinterest. That's where I get all my good ideas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love pinterest ... I'll check there for dino themes!

      Delete
  2. Good job! As for purging books...I'd have a hard time with that. There were a few childhood books that I got rid of (when my mom told me I had to clean out my bookshelves - I've always been a bookworm), and all these years later I'm kicking myself. I've been able to find most of them (used), but there are still a couple that are long gone and I wish I could get them back. Anyway, all that to say, don't be in a rush to clean out the bookshelves unless they really are "bad" books (or just boring ones). ;-) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the books. There are some pretty junky books in there and a lot of baby books that hold no interest for him at all anymore. I'll get to it!

      Delete
  3. Are there favorite books you could take apart and frame? I am also a fan of using calendars for inexpensive wall art. The images are large and you get at least 12!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I may actually buy another copy of Dino Trux and cut the pages out for framing.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how I wanted bunk beds as a kid. These are neat. I wonder about a shelf and reading light for the wall above the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves the bunk beds (as did I when I was little)! The shelf and light is a good idea. Thanks! Maybe when he's a little older. Right now there's no reading in bed! His head hits the pillow and he's out like a light!

      Delete
  5. "but I have to admit to being a teeny bit sad as he's growing up right in front of me"

    Just wait till he's 12 and can look you in the eye (although that'll probably happen earlier for you than it did for me...heehee).

    ReplyDelete