Thursday, February 02, 2012

Just a girl and her label maker

Every evening at dinnertime, for the past 10 years, I open the cupboard where we keep the spices and I find myself cursing. Typically it goes like this - first, something falls out. Then whatever fell out, hits the microwave and ricochets into the sink where it usually splashes dirty dishwasher all over the counter, the floor and me. Once said object is returned to the cupboard, I dig through a mess of spice bottles and nasty ziploc bags until I get so frustrated that I have to take everything out, only to discover an empty bottle that once held paprika, or even better I find 3 half empty bottles of paprika!. To say that I loathe this cupboard is an understatement! This week's project was to go through the cupboard, throw out old, stale spices and anything else that I found and to put whatever was left in lovely, shiny, matching spice bottles, with lovely matching labels!

In this cupboard I found, among other things, 4 tins of smoked oysters (no one in this house eats smoked oysters .. blech), 2 half used bags of stale croutons, sesame oil that expired 3 years ago, 2 open boxes of (now stale) graham crackers and multiple bags from the bulk aisle of unidentified spices.  

The trusty label maker!
I got a little carried away and started labeling all the jars, in all the cupboards!
So neat and orderly ... like little glass & chrome soldiers!

Yes, those are Zoodles that you see in the background. There is no shame ... Jacob LOVES them!
This cupboard makes me happy every time I open it!  I'm tempted to leave the door open to admire it all day!  I'm linking up to Pancakes & French Fries' William Morris Project.

11 comments:

  1. that's a great before and after! The spices look so organized and orderly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still amazed at how fast I can find things. Need Cajun spice? Bam ... there it is!

      Delete
  2. I looooooove a label maker. It makes ANYTHING more organized. You could stick a label on the dog and it would suddenly look neat & tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a label maker as well! We don't actually own one ... my husband "borrows" it from the office!

      Delete
  3. That looks so good! I'm inspired to do the same to my spice drawer...if only my 2012 to-do list wasn't already so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My list is long as well ... a little too long and a little overwhelming, so I started with the easy, doable projects!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love it! We have pull-out spice rack that I cannot figure out how to organize properly. Labeling would be a good start, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the labels! It makes me smile everytime I open the cupboard!

      Delete
  5. Mary Ann, that looks great! Where did you find the little bottle "soldiers" haha? My spices are literally out of control too and every time we have family over looking for a spice while cooking, I have to demystify some random unnamed bulk spice in a zip-loc baggie, before we can be sure if it truly is mustard powder :/ Thanks for sharing your inspiring project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lais! I found the bottles at Cost Plus World Market (http://www.worldmarket.com). They were .99c each and I had the staff climbing around the stock room looking for more than what they had on the shelves! I need more ... not liking the non-matching jars in the back!

      Delete
  6. I give it a month. :P

    ~~your loving sis~~

    (we're visiting in March...I expect great things from the spice cupboard!)

    ReplyDelete